Here’s how to perform a like-to-like version migration of Symantec (Veritas) Backup Exec.
- Install Symantec (Veritas) Backup Exec of the exact same version as you find it on your old backup server and follow either of the below articles:
*followed “c” during the migration for my customer.
- Enter the license details by obtaining it from the old server.
- Configure Partitions on the new Tape Library, i.e. assigning each partition some slots of the library. [Ref: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH27909.html]
- These partitions will then be assigned to the jobs.
- Change the Target Device (partitions) to the new Tape Library.
Partitioning is needed so that your labeled Tapes (Cartridges) stay in the slot designated for it, i.e. the backup job will have a partition (slot) assigned to it and in the partition’s slot, the labeled Tape for that job will sit. This Tape will be carried to and fro by the Tape Library using the Robotic Arms (Media Changer) into the Tape Drive inside it.
- You should see Media Changer and Tape Drive in the Device Manager if the connection between the Server and Library is correct.
Types of Tape Cartridges:
- RW (Read-Write)
- WORM (Write-Once, Read-Many)
Names are self-explanatory. In simpler terms, it’s similar to a compact disc (CD) which comes in 2 varieties – CD-R (writable only once) and CD-RW (re-writable).
Note: Each LTO generation maintains backward read and write capabilities, providing the ability to read back two-generations and write back one-generation.