One more quick-step write-up on physical installation procedure of HP StorageWorks MSL2024 Tape Library and HP MSL LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 SAS Tape Drive.
These steps are for SAS connectivity and not for FC connectivity between the tape library and the server.
- Install the SAS Tape Drive (Internal) to the Tape Library.
- Install from bottom proceeding to top.
- If you just have 1 Tape Drive, install at the bottom enclosure.
MSL2024 supports a maximum of 2 Internal Tape Drives and provides 24 slots in total to hold the tape cartridges. First slot can if required, optionally, be configured as a mail slot for tape cartridge export purposes.
Note: Mail slot comes in very handy to take a tape cartridge out of the library without disturbing the on-going tape writing (backup in-progress) operations, which is not possible otherwise.
- Connect the Tape Library (via the now installed Tape Drive) to the Server using the SAS Fan-out cable.
- Connect the single end of the Fan-out cable to the Server’s SAS HBA card and the one of the four end to the Port A on the Tape Drive inside of the Tape Library.
Note: Do remove the shipping lock present on the top-center before making use of the tape library.
It is always a good practice to assign and configure an IP address for managing the tape library. Do note that you need to use the OCP (Operator Control Panel) LED in front of the tape library/auto-loader to set the password for the management page (HP/E Command View for Tape Libraries) prior to logging-on via a web browser.
Additionally, install the HP/E L&TT (Library and Tape Tools) to perform management functions apart from the HP/E Command View for Tape Libraries from the web browser using the IP Address.